Some activities or events may require you or your organization to obtain a permit from the City of Clinton and/or another organization.

 Building Permits

Building permits and inspections ensure the basic safety of the buildings and our citizens of our community. Many permits can be issued over the counter at our office located at 211 N. Broad St. Suite A, Clinton, SC 29325 or via email to:; however, some permits maybe more involved and require DRB approval.  To determine if you will need DRB approval contact our office. 

Our building permit application and fees may be found here.
The following items require a permit:

  • New houses or buildings
  • Room additions or expansions
  • Structural repairs, remodeling and alterations
  • Accessory structures such as sheds, gazebos, decks, patio slabs, etc.
  • Carports and detached garages
  • Replacement of heating and air conditioning equipment
  • Re-piping of water lines, replacement of sewer lines and replacement of water heaters
  • Modifications to electrical service and wiring
  • Installing gas lines
  • Re-roofing, new siding, and replacement windows

This list is not all inclusive. Please call 864-833-7517 for additional information.

For more information see our Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Building Permits by clicking here.

 Sign Permits

In the City of Clinton, signs are considered to be structures and the regulations contained in the Zoning Ordinance shall apply. No sign shall be erected or maintained unless it is in compliance with Chapter 3 of the Zoning Ordinance, applicable sections of Chapter 4 of the Zoning Ordinance, and other applicable city ordinances. A permit shall be required for the erection; alteration, relocation, or reconstruction of permitted and shall be issued by the Zoning Administrator in accordance with the Zoning Ordinance.
Signs must be constructed of durable materials, maintained in good condition, and not permitted to become dilapidated. Non-conforming signs damaged more than fifty percent (50%) of their reasonable replacement cost shall not be repaired or replaced except in accordance with the provisions of the zoning ordinance.
Prohibited Signs

The following types of signs are prohibited in the City of Clinton:

  • Signs imitating warning signals are prohibited. No sign or structure shall display flashing or intermittent lights of any type nor shall any colored lights be utilized for sign purposes that resemble lights utilized on emergency vehicles, including police, fire, EMS, towing, and rescue vehicles; nor shall any sign use the words "Stop", "Danger", or any other that may confuse an automobile or other vehicle driver.
  • Signs within street or highway rights-of-way are prohibited except traffic signs and signals, information signs erected by or authorized by a governmental or other public agency, or political signs.
  • Signs painted on or attached to trees, fence posts, and telephone poles or other utility poles or signs painted on or attached to rocks or other natural features are prohibited.
  • Also prohibited are signs that have been altered from their original use, such as removing the legs from a free standing sign and placing it on a pole.

Sign Permit Exemptions

The following signs are exempt from the permit requirements:

  • Traffic, directions, warning, or information signs authorized by any public agency.
  • Official notices issued by any court, public agency, or officer.
  • Non-illuminated "for sale", "for rent", or "for lease" signs not exceeding 12 square feet.
  • One permitted home occupation sign, provided it is non-illuminating, no larger than one (1) square foot, and mounted against a wall of the principal building.
  • Non-illuminated signs not exceeding 12 square feet on work under construction, such as non-illuminated signs displaying the contractors, sub-contractors, architects, engineers, owners, financial, and development agencies.

Obtaining a Sign Permit

Please follow this procedure for requesting a sign permit in all zones except C-2 (Central Commercial):

  1. Obtain a sign permit application by downloading the form on this website or obtaining one from the Inspections and Planning Offices in the M.S. Bailey Municipal Center at 211 North Broad Street.
  2. Fully complete the form and attach the required attachments as indicated on the form and return it to the Inspections and Planning Department.
  3. Department personnel will review the application and issue a permit if applicable. Please allow thirty days for the processing of a permit application.
 Please follow this procedure for requesting a sign permit in the C-2 zone (Central Commercial):
  1. Signs in the C-2 zone are subject to review by the City of Clinton Design Review Board.
  2. Obtain a sign permit application by downloading the form from this website or obtaining one from the Inspections and Planning Offices in the M.S. Bailey Municipal Center at 211 North Broad Street.
  3. Contact the Inspections and Planning Department to request a Design Review Board review of your proposed sign.
  4. Fully complete the forms and attach the required attachments as indicated on the form and return it to the Inspections and Planning Department.
  5. Sign permit applications and all required attached must be received by the Inspections and Planning Department by 5:00 PM on the first business day of the month in order to be placed on that month's agenda for the Design Review Board. The Design Review Board meets monthly, on the third Tuesday of the month.

Sign Permit Costs

There is no cost to apply for a sign permit; however, a building permit is required for the installation of all permitted signs. The cost of the building permit is based on the cost of the sign and installation. Please contact the Inspections and Planning Department for more details.

Political Signs

For information about political signs click here

 Special Events Permit

If a business, organization, or individual wants to host an event or organized activity on a city owned property you will need a special events permit.

Per city ordinance no person shall engage or participate in, aid, form or start any parade, event, block party, performance or filming unless a permit is obtained from the City Manager or his/her designee. Requests need to be received by this office 30 days prior to the event; however, we reserve the right to approve applications received less than 30 days before.

Any organized activity involving the use of, or having impact upon, public property, public facilities, parks, sidewalks or public roadways in a manner that varies from its current land use. It is our goal to assist event organizers in planning safe and successful events that create a minimal impact on the communities surrounding the events.

The Special Events Ordinance of the City of Clinton provides the framework and guidance for the issuance of Special Event Permits within the City of Clinton. A permit will not be approved for the primary purpose of advertising a product, goods or services, and is designed to be held primarily for profit.

City of Clinton events have priority in use of any city property or right-of-way.

Applicants who have held an event in the previous year have the first priority for the same time and location. This right shall not apply if the event did not follow set guidelines the previous year.

The permit application process begins when you submit a completed Special Event Permit Application to the Inspections and Planning. Keep in mind that receipt of your application should in no way be construed as final approval or confirmation of your request. A representative from the City will contact you upon receiving the application and thereafter will serve as your primary point of contact for the processing of your permit.

Copies of the application are forwarded and reviewed by all affected City departments and/or public agencies. You may be contacted individually by these departments or agencies only if they have specific questions or concerns about your event. Throughout the review process you will be notified if your event requires any additional information, permits, licenses or certificates. 

During the initial application reviewing process, you will be allowed time to provide us with all pending documents (e.g. certificate of insurance, secondary permits, etc.). These items must be received before issuing a Special Event Permit. Delays in providing these items often delay our ability to finish our review process and approve your application in a timely manner. Due to the many changing components of an event, in most cases, Special Event Permits are issued only a few days in advance of the event date.

The City of Clinton does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability status or age in provision of services. 

Completed application and any fees applied must be submitted prior to a permit being issued to:

Planning Director - Ashley Rochester - 211 N. Broad St. Clinton, SC 29325

For questions call 864-833-7517 or email:

 Scrap Hauling Permit

These permits are issued by the Laurens County Sheriff’s office located at 216 W. Main St. Laurens, SC 29360.

Their phone number is 864-984-4967.